Tips to help you learn English!
Hello, and thank you for visiting my website and blog! I am so happy that you came for a visit to learn more about learning English! Here are a few tips and suggestions to help you become more successful in your journey to learn English.
I began learning languages when I was five years old, starting with Spanish, and then French when I was eleven years old. After that I began to study languages more seriously at school; French, German, English (of course!), Japanese, Turkish, Chinese, Thai, and Yup’ik Eskimo. Now, I don’t speak all of those languages fluently – not yet (!) – but I am trying.
I really enjoy learning and speaking languages with people from different cultures and countries. Even though I am a native English speaker (born in the U.S.A.), I progressively enjoy and prefer speaking other languages as an alternative to English; I like French, Japanese, and Thai very much!
My point that I want to share today however, is that by learning these languages I have experienced and learned some study techniques that might help you too. A lot of this involves the subconcious mind, but I will write about that later in another blog. For now, here are some suggestions that you might use and apply in learning English more efficiently:
1. Learn 10 new English worlds everyday; read them, write them, say them – all at the same time – then put each word into a short sentence.
2. Review and say (speak) your new English words on your list 3 times a day, even for just a few minutes. 30 times a day is best! Waiting for the bus, having morning coffee, just before bedtime, during a lunch break, etc.
3. If you see a foreigner, say “Hello, how are you? Can I help you? etc., … practice using your English whenever and wherever possible!
4. Read and listen to English in newspapers, television, and movies. Try to understand what you read and hear.
5. Take notes about words you don’t understand or have questions about. Later, research the meaning.
6. When you go to sleep, put on your headphones and softly listen to English recordings as you go to sleep.
7. Contact me (for free!) if you have a question about an English word, sentence, phrase, pronunciation, or grammar!
9. Very important: buy a simple English dictionary and Thesaurus. When you need to understand a word, look it up right away. Then, make a note of it to practice and review it later.
10. Contact me and I will give you a free English lesson!
Do you have special techniques that help you learn English? Please tell me about them, so that I can help my students. Thanks!
Here are special English words to learn and use in this blog. In the above article (blog) you can see how I used each word in a sentence:
tips little bits of advice or suggestions
suggestions an idea about what someone should do or how someone should behave – like a tip!
successful having the correct or desired result : ending in success
efficiently capable of producing desired results without wasting materials, time, or energy
progressive something happening or developing gradually over a period of time
techniques a way of doing something by using special knowledge or skill
subconscious existing in the part of the mind that a person is not aware of : existing in the mind but not consciously known or felt
folks people in general, used in an informal, friendly way
That’s all for now folks! I hope this is helpful for you. Contact me if you have any questions or comments. I would be very happy to meet and help you.
Terryl Miller Sky
Facebook: Skype English Express